The old glory replicated von Arlette Reloaded
A replica of the eighteenth century ship ‘de Amsterdam’.
The Amsterdam was an 18th century merchant ship under the flag of the Dutch East India Company (V.O.C.). The ship began its maiden voyage from Texel to Batavia on 8 January 1749, but was hit by a storm in the North Sea on 26 January 1749 and ran aground on the English coast. It had to be abandoned here. The wreck was rediscovered near Hastings in 1969 and is the best preserved wreck of a V.O.C. ship; it protrudes from the surrounding mud at extremely low tide. Some of the wreckage is on display at the Shipwreck and Coastal Heritage Centre in Hastings. From 1985 to 1990 a replica of the ship was built in the Netherlands, which can now be visited as part of the Amsterdam Maritime Museum.